Diabetes, high blood pressure, renal (kidney) failure and being overweight are all health conditions that “run in my family”.
Both my mother and my grandmother (her mother) were ill from each of the aforementioned things prior to their unfortunate deaths.
For my mother, her renal failure occurred during her hospital stay.
My surviving aunts and some other relatives suffer from one or more of these conditions as well.
But the point is, there was and is a pattern…. a vicious cycle.
Now, many people say and believe that diseases are hereditary and passed on from one person to the next in the same manner that facial features or eye color are.
I’m not a medical expert and I do realize that there are SOME things that are genetic.
But in more instances than not, things such as what I named above, are not necessarily passed on from person-to-person within a family due to genes, but due to identical or similar DIETARY & LIFESTYLE HABITS.
When I first heard someone say this some years back, I had to really sit and think about it because I had never thought of it like that before.
Then once I did, I actually proved the theory right… at least in my own family.
I sat and I thought way back to the days when my great-grandmother was still alive, and I visualized her kitchen, her refrigerator, her pantry, her cabinets, and what she cooked.
Then, I allowed my mind to take me to my mother’s kitchen, etc. and pondered on what she cooked… how we ate back then. Then did the same with my grandmother and my aunts.
I was astonished to realize that in each instance, pretty much the same types of foods were being prepared! Wow!
Therefore, I made up my own mind to make some changes in that imagery… to break the cycle not only for myself, but for my husband and my children especially!
So far so good. I am currently 40 years old at the time of this writing and am blessed to not have any of the health challenges my family members had when they were my age.
Is the potential there?
But with prayer, grace, and lifestyle/dietary changes; I am breaking the vicious cycle… the “curse” of illness for myself and my family, and you can too!
So I challenge you to, right now today, consider any and everyone in your family who suffers from the same health issues and diseases as one another and then, visualize their eating habits, etc.
And if YOU’RE experiencing the same challenges with your own health, match up your eating habits with theirs, see if there is a match.
If there is, make a conscious decision and effort to make the necessary changes to break the cycle, even if only making small, gradual changes such as:
– switching out highly-processed foods for minimally-to-non processed foods (instead of making instant mashed potatoes, make them homemade; buy fresh chicken instead of frozen, pre-breaded nuggets, patties, and things of that nature)
– switch out refined foods for unrefined (whole grain/wheat bread instead of white, brown rice instead of white, evaporated cane juice instead of sugar, REAL sea salt instead of white table salt, unbleached flour instead of white, etc.)
– eat more FRESH, raw fruits and vegetables
– drink more water instead of juices and sodas
– clean out the “bad” stuff from your body with a gentle colon cleanse (NOT laxatives!) which may help you to begin actually desiring to eat healthier
– replenish the nutrients in your body with an all-natural supplement which can also help you begin to desire healthier food choices
Also, start getting your body moving in some form or fashion., even if it’s a short walk around the block a few days out of the week or taking the stairs instead of an elevator/escalator or dancing.
These are just a few things you can start doing NOW to begin breaking the cycle of poor health.
When you KNOW better…DO better!
Cherie King - Your Wellness AdvocateThanks for stopping by and reading my blog!
If you like the article you just read and would like to be
notified when NEW stuff is posted, click here for updates!
P.S. You know that CONSTANT struggle you have with your weight? Well guess what?
There's a really good chance that IT MAY NOT BE YOUR FAULT! Click here to find out why.