Stress hits us from all different angles – job, relationships, and finances just to name a few.
And when the stress hits from one of the aforementioned, it tends to affect one or more of the other areas… like a domino effect.
Negative Effects of Stress
Stress can cause some major problems… some of which you may not even realize is coming from stress.
Some people tend to cope with it in negative ways such as resorting alcohol and drugs. And although they may feel temporary relief, once the numbness has worn off, the stress only comes back even worse than before.
And that is what often leads to addiction, which only adds more stress to your life.
So it’s in your best interest to reduce stress levels in your life as much as possible.
Simple Ways To Reduce The Stress in Your Life
Schedule time in your day for stress relievers.
Too often we focus on the things causing stress that we don’t take time out for ourselves to alleviate it. So be sure to schedule out a block of time be it one hour or more, half an hour or even if it’s a mere 15 minutes. Take time out for YOU!
Don’t allow yourself to be overwhelmed by minor worries.
I’m sure you’ve seen, read, or even bought a picture or other article with the “Serenity Prayer”. If something is beyond your control, then learn how to accept it, do what you can and then move on with the rest of your life. Time spent worrying is time wasted and it takes away from you in more ways than one.
Video games are a wonderful form of reducing stress.
When playing video games, your focus is on how you can beat the game. This can help clear your thoughts. It can really give your mood a boost, regardless if you are playing alone, or with friends. I know what you’re probably thinking… they’re mindless time wasters, right? Well, that depends on how MUCH time you spend on them! Again, allot a certain amount of time and have the discipline to stop when time’s up even if you haven’t beat the game. Just tell yourself, “I’ll beat it tomorrow!” and go on to doing something else.
Show your pearly whites!
The simple act of smiling is an instant way to relieve stress. We usually smile when we feel happy and relaxed, however, smiling can result in a happy and relaxed feeling. Smiling can improve your mood and help reduce the stress and anxiety that you feel. During stressful activities, break out your smile so you feel calmer and less burdened by stress.
Learn to accept your role and responsibility in whatever situations are in your life
– then, work on ways to improve yourself! If you always blame others and make yourself out to be the victim then you are only going to increase the amount of stress in your daily life. You really should change this way of thinking through personal development.
Get organized for quick stress reduction.
Much of the stress you experience is due to forgetting to do things before the last minute, or simply losing something you need. These things can cause a great deal of frustration. By keeping things neat and well-organized, you will have more control of your life. This can significantly reduce stress.
Try just letting go.
Even if you can’t believe it, it is true that people don’t like to deal with change even though that may take away stress. Admitting that your resistance to change is keeping you stressed can make it easier to accept that you need to change. Although it can be difficult to change your old ways, establishing control can really instigate positive changes in your life.
Change your surroundings whenever you are feeling stressed out.
For example, visiting your family at their home may cause you great stress. Instead of visiting their home, you can meet in a more neutral place; such as a restaurant or park. The change in scenery may decrease this stress and lead to a newer, happier relationship forming all over again.
If you are suffering from too much stress, this can have detrimental effects on all areas of your life. Making use of any effective method of stress-reduction is extremely important. These tips should help you take a step forward in reducing the amount of stress you experience in a day to day basis. The less stressed you are, the better your life will be!
A Few Other Stress Reducing Tips
- Get a hobby – Sometimes all one needs is a way to let off steam and take their mind off of the “everyday” by doing something they enjoy… something that relaxes them. Scrapbooking, knitting/crocheting, golf, swimming, etc. – whatever you truly love and enjoy doing that brings you fun and/or relaxation is what you need to get yourself into.
- Work out -Walking is a wonderful way to reduce stress! But if that’s too ‘boring’, then you can also try Pilates, another amazing stress reducer or something more expressive like kickboxing or Zumba!
- Pray and meditate – Those who take time to be thankful for all they have and seek help and guidance for those things you need help with, tend to experience less stress and anxiety than those who do not. So take time to pray and/or meditate every day! You may even want to get a journal and write down all the things you’re grateful for to put things into a different perspective.
- Curl up with a good book – Personal development books are excellent to help change and greatly improve your mindset and view on life in addition to changing your mood and your attitude.
- Listen to some soothing music – When you listen to soothing, relaxing music, it tends to have a calming effect on the mind.
- Catch some Zzz’s – Taking a quick nap will cause you to feel refreshed. Eight hours of sleep each night is crucial for proper functioning of your body. Getting enough rest also helps you feel and look your best.
- Let “Calgon” take you away! – Remember that commercial? In our hurried lifestyles, we often opt for that quick shower. But sometimes a nice, warm, candlelit bubble bath is just the ticket to relax your cares away.
- “Bust-a-gut” laughing – Laughing reduces stress levels, as well as anxiety and tension. Watch a stupid-funny comedy movie, go to a comedy club or watch your favorite stand-up comedian on DVD…whatever it takes to make you laugh!
- Deep breathing. Counting to 10 while breathing deeply has an instant calming effect. Have your feet planted flat on the ground, relax your arms, shoulders and body, close your eyes and bre-eathe!
- Forgive & forget! Forgiving others and being slow to judge allows you to move forward with your life and in your health. Remember… you are not perfect and neither are the people around you!